Friday 2 October 2020

The Size of Freedom

 It's been almost two years since I posted to this blog and, as yet, I perhaps still feel I have little, if any, new compulsion or inspiration to write. However I suddenly realised I was missing a golden opportunity to do either of two worthwhile alternatives ... Post old scribblings of my own and/or post some more (as I did with Walden some time back) by other authors.

So this following piece is something I started back in 2014 but never completed and all these years later I am hesitant to attempt to recover my original thread of thought, so I'm posting it as I found it, unfinished and dangling with perhaps just a suggestion of promise? I hope you enjoy it.

I shall now also look for some extracts from works by other writers ... Perhaps starting with Hermann Hesse ...


1987

The only sounds are the gentle sighing of the breeze through the nearby casuarinas and the occasional distant call of a magpie. As I have done on many occasions over the past two years, I am sitting on Leura’s Olympian Rock, looking directly across the Jamison Valley toward Korowal (Mt Solitary) and beyond. The sun has passed its zenith in the cloudless blue vault of an autumn Australian sky, causing a slow increase of shadow which gradually reveals the contours of the vista stretched out before me. The sheer and striated sandstone escarpments of Kedumba and Narrow Neck frame the view to left and right, but from this vantage the view to the south seems almost limitless – the vastness of such as the Wild Dog Mountains and Lake Burragorang reduced to little more than foreground detail as the successive ridges and valleys of the Great Dividing Range challenge my eyes to discern their detail, which slowly dissolves into the haze of distance. I convince myself that I can identify the particular silhouette of Mt Gibraltar, ‘The Gib’, in Mittagong some 75 kilometres distant and home to my elderly parents, but perhaps that is just a fancy born of a desire to discern something familiar in this wild expanse?

 

As the warmth of the sun seeps into my bones, the solitude and serenity of my situation allows my mind to calm, de-clutter, wander and, eventually, begin to consider the infinite. What has brought me to this point in time and space – given me the privilege and freedom to sit idly here in this apparent paradise with just my thoughts to occupy me? I’m sufficiently aware to recognize that my quarter century of existence on this planet has been most notable for my extreme good fortune. The fourth child of middle-class English parents, my family immigrated to Australia with the benefit of the ‘Assisted Passage Scheme’ and have resided within proximity of Sydney ever since. I have always been well clothed and fed and enjoyed a safe and loving home environment. I received a good education and never suffered more than the normal run of minor ailments that beset most children. The pangs of young love combined with my uncertainties about sexuality (at a time when heterosexuality was essentially the only widely understood and legal option) provided me with the expected moments of anguish, frustration and self-doubt but I knew enough to be discreet and was never overtly persecuted for my orientation. I am bright, capable and enjoy a curious and creative disposition. And, despite having worked in numerous roles across various fields of endeavor since leaving school at fifteen, I sit here as a recipient of fortnightly Social Security Benefit payments that supplement the meager income I derive from some part-time youth work in the local community.

 

By most common measures mine truly has been, unlike Albert Facey’s, a fortunate life. And yet. And yet …

 

2014

Yet I, like so many others, across all ages, genders, nationalities, social and economic strata, found myself questioning: Why? What? How? When? Even who? Though, is that last simply a manifestation of our species’ over-riding tendency to anthropomorphise everything? So many faiths and cultures seem compelled to inculcate in their constituents the notion of human supremacy. The seeming need to find strength and justification in the frankly alarming suggestion that humanity sits apart from and higher than the rest of the universe we inhabit, in all its incomprehensible diversity and complexity. Are we, as is often proposed, driven mostly by fear of ‘the other’? The other nation. The other race. The other gender. The other faith. The other culture. The other community. Or is it actually even simpler than that? Is it just a fear of insignificance? A fear of being small? Inconsequential.

 

I think that it might be just that. Do we ask ‘What is the meaning of life?’ not from a sense of truly seeking enlightenment so much as from a need to justify our own existence. Are we actually asking ‘Why am I here?’ Is it little more than an egotistical assertion that we each must, of necessity, have some higher purpose? And do we interpret the semantics of ‘higher purpose’ too literally, suggesting that a higher purpose requires also a position of elevation, of superiority? If so, then perhaps the reason we feel compelled to ask such questions is the disjunct we intuit between our culturally acquired sense of authority and entitlement and our frequent feelings of desire, uncertainty or helplessness.

 

Sitting in front of that magnificent and truly vast expanse of earthly wonders back in 1987, the singular notion that slowly rose in my thoughts to eventual dominance and clarity was the concept of relative scale, and all that a true comprehension of scale can imply. Bill Buxton, Principal Researcher at Microsoft, speaks of the importance of seeing fine levels of ‘granularity’ to gain understanding. He proposes the notion of exploring ‘orders of magnitude’ to aid clarity and comprehension. These are mental exercises that evoke in a more practical and helpful fashion the oft heard taunt to the woebegone ‘Get a little perspective!’

 

What happens when we do indeed step back from our subjective immersion in our daily travails? What I discovered, once I let the irksome minutia of quotidian concerns fall from dominance in my mind, was a true understanding of exactly how significant I was within the totality of universal existence.

 

Not at all.

 

And for me, that was extremely liberating. It conferred a new and persistent freedom to my thoughts, actions, being. Why was that?

 

Within the context of infinite time and limitless space we are all of us less than a speck of insignificance. But that’s perhaps a little extreme? Perhaps such a viewpoint invites accusations of a nihilist or fatalist position of negation of care or responsibility? And that surely is not freedom? So let’s explore instead a continuum of personal importance that stretches between a position of ‘It’s all about me’ to one of total individual irrelevance. At what scale, what level of magnitude, do we find our level of greatest comfort? The ‘picture’ of our world within the frame of which we can feel both sufficiently important to gain self worth, yet sufficiently ‘one among many’ to feel the freedom to express ourselves without undue constraint, condemnation or fear? Clearly it will be a different location on the continuum for every one of us with many external and internal influences – real and imagined; cultural and socio-economic; religious and familial. The tendency for someone of my upbringing, within a culture rampantly extolling the righteous virtues of the supremacy of the individual, would inherently be further toward a position of personal dominance than for someone reared within an Australian indigenous populace wherein the philosophy of ‘what’s mine is yours’ has true meaning. Additionally, there are many who will justifiably feel that the ability to perceive themselves outside of the pressing concerns of immediate circumstance are a luxury simply not available within their daily grind of ‘hand to mouth’ survival. They are compelled to place the day to day, minute by minute needs of their own, or their family’s, food, warmth and shelter first and foremost. Viewing their life from the next order of magnitude is simply not an option they feel able to invest even the luxury of aspiration toward.


Note: Incomplete though it is, I feel there may still be some points of interest for the curious reader to consider and just perhaps you might like to compose a conclusion of your own for this piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment